Friday, November 2, 2007

Introduction to Energy Crunch

Welcome to Energy Crunch. As this is my first post, I think I'll lay out why I'm blogging here, why I'm focusing on energy.

Simply put, we are facing an Energy Crunch. Energy is going to be the #1 issue facing our country in the coming 50 to 100 years. Our economy has been built on the back of cheap energy. But getting that cheap energy out of oil has caused lots of problems. And lots of indicators show that we may not be able to get that energy out of the ground so cheaply anymore. Alternative energy sources will be needed, and fast. I say that energy is the #1 issue because working to solve the energy issue means that you're simultaneously working to solve other major issues, such as global warming, peak oil, and terrorism.

Global warming. We need to stop producing CO2. Renewable energy sources (which I will argue need to be re-branded as "free" energy sources, which is what they are... a post is almost certainly forthcoming on the re-branding of energy as the front line of the energy war) don't produce CO2, or produce a lot less of it. That case is pretty clear.

Peak oil is happening, in that oil production has already begun its decline year-to-year. Some will debate whether we're just seeing the effects of various geopolitical situations, which, when cleared up, will see us back to producing more and more oil for the foreseeable future. I think, though, the most reasonable assumption is that peak oil is here, and that we need to start thinking about what's going to replace all that oil. I'll do a post on that in the very near future.

Terrorism is linked to the oil problem, but this will be a lesser focus of my blog. Suffice to say for now that the U.S. needs massive amounts of oil, and this has meant dealing with the Middle East. It may be oversimplified to say our thirst for oil causes or funds terrorism, but not by much.

So what am I going to do? I'm on a mission of exploration. I'll be looking, and re-looking, at a lot of the potential solutions for what I see as the Energy Crunch problem. I'll spend some time discussing the problem itself (i.e., what is peak oil, have we hit it yet, etc), but I want to focus more on the solutions. What are the viable alternative energy sources out there? What new breakthroughs are popping up? How do those impact that technology as a viable source of energy in the future? How should individuals and governments act and react to these changes?

Let the energy exploration begin.

No comments: