Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Google's Gigawatt

If you've been reading my blog, you'll notice that I've been asking a lot of "what am I missing" questions about my observations that renewable energy, over time, should be competitive with energy from current energy sources. Well today, Google came out and asked the same thing: why can't we create renewable energy cheaper than coal? The challenge they've come up with? To create a gigawatt of renewable energy (between 0.2% and 0.3% of the U.S.'s total electricity needs) at costs below coal, and they're putting hundreds of millions of dollars into their various efforts. And everyone laughed when I said it was possible. (OK, no one laughed, but no one exactly went out there and offered my $100 million to go see if it was possible). Google is serious, and thinks this can be done "in years, not decades."

I have to tell you, I'm fired up about this. The more I look into my crystal ball, the more I see a future where our electricity is renewable and our vehicles are electric. When private-market behemoths like Google start moving in the same direction, I see the time to this future scenario shortened.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

how can people access renewables@google.org? i tried and could not succeed. i have a proposition that may qualify for "google's Gigawatt"

energycrunch said...

Google.org's site says "we are not accepting unsolicited proposals at this time, however future Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and other guidelines for proposal submission will be posted here."
http://www.google.org/contact.html

Or you can try their contact form.

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious..


just how much does GOOGE spend on electricity at GOOGLEPLEX.

it must be multi millions I'd guess..

any informed estimates?

TIA